The Basehor Building Safety Department staff assures the public's health, safety, and welfare in the city's built environment, while facilitating construction and development as well as ensuring new construction complies with all adopted construction codes. This division of the Planning and Zoning Department issues building permits and conducts building inspections. The codes division is also responsible for the enforcement of all Municipal Codes relating to property maintenance.
Contractor Licensing Requirements
Building Department & Municipal Code FAQs
Building permits are issued by the Building Safety Department. Plans prepared by a design professional are required for all buildings including single and multi-family residential structures. Permit guidelines are available for erosion control, residential, commercial and many other various construction projects.
- 90 MPH Garage Door Installation Guidelines (PDF)
- APA Guidelines for Foundations (PDF)
- APA Guidelines for Roofs (PDF)
- APA Guidelines for Walls (PDF)
- Erosion Control Inspection Checklist (PDF)
- Fence Guidelines (PDF)
- Minimum Egress Window Dimensions for Emergency Escape and Rescue (PDF)
- Notice of Intent - Land Disturbance (PDF)
- Residential Decks - Permit and Construction under the 2003 IRC (PDF)
- Single Family Residential Erosion Sediment Control Standards Guidelines (PDF)
- Stair Construction under the 2003 IRC (PDF)
- Swimming Pool Regulations (PDF)
Residential or Commercial Building Projects
Public & Private Utility Construction
Requesting Building Inspections
All inspections including sewer must be requested no less than 4 hours in advance. The inspector will try to arrive as quickly as possible. For all building inspections email the City Building Inspector at 913-724-1370, ext. 24. Please provide the address, type of inspection required, requested time of inspection as well as a return phone number.
All sewer connection inspections need to be scheduled through the Public Works Department 913-724-2000, they also require a 4 hour minimum time window.